Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Becoming a Midwife

I have had dreams of becoming a midwife for two years now. I began this journey, however, much earlier than that. I am a functional middle child, despite being the eldest child of either parent, because of the close relationship I've had since birth with my first cousins, my mother's nieces and nephews.
I have always had what you might call a 'jeopardy head', knowing lots of useless facts about a lot of random things... as I entered high school, this knowledge started grouping into two more distinct (and radically different) areas. Heavy Metal music, and pregnancy & childbirth. often, I could out do friends with facts about this drummer or that guitarist, while simultaneously out-'facting' the high school Sex ed teacher.
Two years ago, at 18, I saw 'The Business of Being Born'. something in me just clicked. That was what I was supposed to do with my life. At the time, I wasn't in a place where it was possible for me to enroll in the regional midwifery school, but the thought lingered. I thought about other things; teaching elementary school & social work... both careers where a natural caregiver such as myself might eventually be maxed out...
During my second semester of college, (just this passed spring semester) I found myself surrounded by pregnant women... and women in general as I took a Women's Studies course. I felt vital, empowered and perhaps most importantly, satisfied, discussing women's issues, in particular, reproductive health in the United States. I made my decision to apply to birthwise.

It's now been 2.5 months since I first made the decision to apply, and my interview is a week from tomorrow. I am a believer in the power of positive thinking, so I know I'm getting in. I don't have a back-up plan, and I can't imagine the universe conspiring against something I am so passionate about, something I know I was born to do.

so who am I?
My name is Bexxy and I am a 20 year old college student from rural Maine. I have a pierced lip & nose (I wear hoops in both), and an undershave haircut. I listen to a lot of heavier music, in particular Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Combichrist, Metallica (also my cat's name) and Guns N' Roses. I wear band tee-shirts and flair jeans. I look bald when I pull my hair back in a ponytail. My favorite food is Lean Cuisine's Asian Potstickers, and I love me some Grey's Anatomy.

No comments:

Post a Comment